While it may not always feel like it, summer is right around the corner! We don’t know about you, but we are already dreaming of warm summer nights, grilling, and enjoying family dinners on our patio.
Of course, we also know that for many homeowners, thoughts about their patios are connected to thoughts about their patio doors. Patio doors are well known for being difficult to deal with. Whether your door frame is shrinking and expanding or it keeps coming off the roller track, dealing with an old patio door can be frustrating.
If that sounds familiar, it may be time for you to consider a patio door replacement. Just like any design choice, the idea of changing your door may bring up lots of questions, such as:
- How much will a new door cost?
- How long does it take to install?
- What style options are available to me?
If you are looking for info on all things patio doors, we’ve got you covered! We’ll be talking about different types of patio doors, their pros and cons, and how much you can expect to pay.
Why Should You Replace Your Patio Doors?
Wondering if you should power through for another year or if it is really time to replace your patio doors? Here are some of our favorite reasons to invest in a new patio door for your home.
- Energy Efficiency 💡 – Have you noticed that the lower levels of your home are colder in the winter months? That could be due to your patio doors allowing cold air to seep through. Modern patio doors are designed with energy efficiency in mind so that you don’t have to pay unnecessarily high prices on your heating and cooling bills.
- Natural Light ☀️ – Patio doors are a great way to incorporate natural light into your home. Older doors can have permanently cloudy glass that can be a bit of an eyesore. A new door will keep your home looking bright and clean, as well as allow you to enjoy the view.
- Longer Lasting Materials ⏰ – If your home has an older patio door, it is more than likely that it has a wood door frame. While wood frames have a beautiful, timeless look, they are highly susceptible to warping from the changing weather. Modern styles typically use more durable materials, such as vinyl and steel, to create a doorframe that will last much longer than traditional materials.
- Ease of Use 👍 – Most homes have sliding patio doors that are great when it comes to getting an unobstructed view but also tend to break down after many years. A new door can help update your roller system to that the sliding door can easily glide open and shut.
Patio Door Cost
When it comes to home improvement projects, a patio door installation is relatively affordable. Additionally, you may end up actually saving money due to increased energy efficiency.
Depending on the style that you choose, the price of a new patio door can range from $300 all the way to $1000 for a high-end, custom door.
4 Types of Patio Doors For Your Home
Wondering what style of patio door is right for your home? Here are the four most popular styles and their pros and cons.
1) French Patio Doors
If you are looking for a style of door that makes a statement, you can’t go wrong with french doors. French doors have a beautiful, historical look to them that is always in style.
Unlike the majority of patio doors, french doors do not slide. Instead, they are hinged patio doors, which makes them a unique choice for this list.
- Timeless style
- Hinges are easy to maintain
- Can open both doors for fresh air
- Can install a deadbolt for extra safety
- French patio doors require extra space to allow them to swing open
- French doors don’t come with a screen
2) Sliding Patio Doors
Sliding patio doors are the most common type of patio doors. They are hugely convenient in terms of maximizing space and allowing natural light to come in. That said, they have their own set of challenges.
- More of a modern look
- Come with a screen that helps to promote ventilation
- Sliding doors save space by not needing room to swing open
- Sliding patio doors offer the best unobstructed views of your property
- Sliding doors tend to be more high maintenance and have frequent problems when it comes to getting stuck
- Double-paned glass can be hard to properly clean as it ages, with condensation getting trapped between the panes
3) Bifold Patio Doors
Bifold doors are a cool choice for a homeowner looking to make a style statement. These doors are hinged patio doors in their own way. However, they work by having multiple panels that fold together, like an accordion.
- Cool style statement
- Usually comes with a single swinging door for easy access
- Tends to be more expensive
- Typically does not have a screen
4) Multi Panel Doors
Multi-panel doors – also known as multi-slide doors – are another unique choice for your patio doors. These door systems have multiple sliding patio doors, that allow you to create a personalized view.
- Unique view
- Add elegance to your exterior
- Difficulties with sticking
- More expensive
Get Help With Your Door Installation
Ready for a new patio door but don’t know where to start? Let the team at Jacksons Home Improvement lend you a helping hand! Our patio door experts can help you to choose a door that will work for you and your home and install it in a timely manner. Contact us today for a free estimate.